Integrate TestRail with your Jira Cloud instance to push bug reports to Jira during testing, link issues to test results, look up issue details from TestRail and full requirement coverage integration. To read more about Jira and TestRail integration you can view additional information on our Jira test management page.
If you do not have a TestRail instance yet, you can register for a free trial If you are trying to set up the Jira Server plugin instead, see Connect to Jira Server.
You must be an administrative user for both TestRail and Jira Cloud or must have sufficient user privileges to configure the TestRail-Jira integration.
In this guide, you will walk through the following steps to integrate TestRail with your Jira Cloud instance:
Generate a Jira Cloud API token
Configure Jira integration settings
Add the free TestRail app in Jira Cloud
Configure TestRail add-on in Jira
Generate a Jira Cloud API Token
- Login to your Jira Cloud instance and go to account settings. This can be accessed by clicking your circle icon on the top right-hand side and selecting Account Settings.
- Select the Security menu and click on the Create and manage API tokens link.
- Click Create API token and provide a label name. This can be anything you prefer.
- Be sure to copy or save your token as you will need this later on. Afterwards, proceed with selecting Close.
Configure Jira integration settings
- Log in to your TestRail instance and navigate to Administration > Integration.
- Select the Configure Jira Integration button.
- Provide your Jira Cloud Web Address URL. Usually, it looks something like https://yourcustomname.atlassian.net.
- Under Jira Version, it should remain Jira Cloud as the option.
- Under Jira Email address, provide the email address you have with your Jira Cloud instance.
- Ensure that both the Defect and Reference checkboxes are enabled and select Save Settings.
- Scroll down and select Save Settings to finalize the changes.
For Jira cloud integration, you should use the Jira Cloud plugin, and authenticate the integration using your Jira email address and Jira API token.
Manual Jira configuration
Do you prefer to configure the Jira integration manually or need to customize, extend, or change the integration? You can also easily configure the Jira integration from TestRail’s side manually with a few simple steps.
You can also configure different integrations for different projects. To do so, simply configure the integration for each project under Administration > Projects > edit a project > Defects / References tabs. Learn more about configuring the integration manually or how to customize and adjust the integration here:
Add the TestRail Jira app in Jira Cloud
The TestRail Integration for Jira app allows you to directly review related test results, test case links, TestRail dashboard statistics and new case buttons directly from inside Jira. To get started, simply activate the TestRail add-on for Jira Cloud from the Atlassian Marketplace:
Alternatively, you or your Jira administrator can enable the add-on within your Jira instance by navigating to Settings > Apps > Find New Apps , then search for TestRail. From there, click the TestRail app > Get App > Get It Now .
Next, simply configure the add-on with your TestRail address and key. Click the Apps dropdown in the top menu, select Manage apps, expand the TestRail for Jira Test Management app, and click Configure . Then simply configure your TestRail address and integration key and any additional optional settings.
You can also limit the add-on to select Jira user groups or projects to hide the integration from users who don’t currently use TestRail.