The Project (Summary) report provides a high-level overview of all progress and testing activity for the milestones in your TestRail project. The report shows an overview of the current progress and test results across all of the milestones you include in the report, as well as a summary of the progress of testing activity and a detailed breakdown of the status of each test plan being executed within that milestone. You can use this report to get an overview of a custom set of milestones within a single report and increase the visibility of the status of milestones across the project.
Creating a Project (Summary) report
Please make sure you have the following permissions enabled for your user role.
For more details, please check out the managing user roles and permissions guide
Steps to create a Project (Summary) report
To generate the Project (Summary) report in TestRail, you need to put a few configuration settings in place.
Navigate to the project for which you would like to create a test report. Then, navigate to the Report tab.
On the right side, you will see a pane titled Create a Report. Click on Project report under the Summary section.
On Add Report page, you will find 3 main sections:
- Name and Description
- Report Options
- Access & Scheduling
Follow the below steps to configure each section
Name and Description
Enter the report's name and description in their respective fields.
On the Add Report page, scroll down to Report Options. Here, you will see three tabs, DETAILS, HISTORY, and ACTIVITY.
On the DETAILS tab, you can do the following:
- Select the criteria for milestones to display on the report. Use the checkboxes to include open milestones, completed milestones, or both. Use the dropdown to include 5, 10, or 25 (maximum) list items.
- Select the criteria for test runs & plans to display on the report. Use the checkboxes to include open runs & plans, completed runs & plans, or both. Use the dropdown to include 5, 10, 25, 50, or 100 (maximum) list items.
- Select whether to include the following additional sections: History and project events, Activity (results over time), or both.
You can do the following under the HISTORY tab:
Select a time frame for the items that will show in the History section. Use the dropdown to select between today and past dates.
- Select the maximum number of list items to display, (from newest to oldest). 10, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500, or 1000 (maximum).
You can do the following under the ACTIVITY tab:
- You can select the time frame for the report. You can select between today and past dates.
- By default, all test cases are included. To show only test cases with specific statuses, hold ctrl + click one or more: Passed, Blocked, Untested, Retest, Failed, In Progress.
- Select the maximum number of activities to display on the report, (from newest to oldest). 10, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500, or 1000 (maximum).
Access & Scheduling
This section enables users to set access and scheduling options. For more details, please refer to the General configurations guide.
Finally, scroll down and click Add Report to generate the report.
Reading a Project (Summary) report
It may take minutes to generate your report depending on the data included. However, once the report is fully generated, the next thing is to view and interpret it. To view the report, go to your Reports tab and click on the appropriate report under the list.
In Report Options > Details, the user configured two things:
- Whether to publish milestones data in the report. Then, whether to publish test runs & plans data. (The maximum number of list items that can be displayed for each is 25.)
- How the data would display – pie chart, inline forecast, or both.
Both the milestones section, as well as the test runs & plans section are affected by how the user configures the “additional sections”. The report shows the same data type twice, with the milestones section at the top.
If the user enabled both additional sections – underneath will be the same two sections, but showing an overview of test runs instead.
Below is a description of what shows on the report if users enable the following selections:
- History and project events – The history for the milestone, and separately for the test runs & plans. Two pie charts are divided by Status, and an overall forecast of Passed items and untested items.
- Activity (results over time) – A list of line items, separated into Open and Completed categories. Users can hover the inline scorecard to the right for a quick view of Status percentages.
Based on the time frame and the maximum number of history the user configured, this section shows a line item overview of test plans, test runs, and test cases. The history is separated by date.
Users can click available titles to open a details page. To the right, a summary of authors and editors shows for each item. Deleted or canceled items show as strikethrough, and do not link to details pages.
The activity section shows a chart of test results for the configured timeline, as well as a breakdown of test case percentages according to status. Users can see details about test status per day, by hovering over the peaks of each line.
Underneath the chart is a list of test cases (newest to oldest run dates) that are sorted by date and marked by badges showing the current status for each item. To the right of the test case list, the name of the user who ran the test shows. Users can click the test case names to open a details page.