Most customers would want to migrate to TestRail Cloud for the purpose of not having to maintain the instance. For example, on TestRail Cloud our team manages all instance maintenance, backups, and upgrades. However, there are some key differences to consider before migration.
Key differences between TestRail Server and TestRail Cloud
- TestRail Cloud has an API rate limit for performance. On TestRail Professional, the API rate limit is 180 requests per minute. On TestRail Enterprise it is 300 requests per minute. If you use heavy automation on TestRail Server this would be something to consider
- Custom reports & custom defect plugins are only possible on TestRail Server, as access to the file system is required.
- Authentication via AD/LDAP connections is currently only possible on TestRail Server. While SSO is possible on TestRail Cloud Enterprise via SAML 2.0, AD & LDAP connections for authentication are not yet supported.
Migrating from TestRail Server to TestRail Cloud
In order to migrate from TestRail Server to TestRail Cloud, please first reach out to our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll need to ask some instance-specific questions to confirm the possibility to move your instance. In rare cases, it may not be possible to migrate to TestRail Cloud.
In general, we would need the following to perform a migration:
- Purchase TestRail Cloud: Set up and purchase your new TestRail Cloud subscription. Once it is ready, there is no need to add any data or users, as these will be overwritten when we migrate your existing database to the new instance. This can be done at any point in the process but is necessary prior to us restoring the contents of your installation.
The hosting requirements for TestRail Server can change — and currently, PHP versions below 7.1 are no longer supported. You may also need to upgrade PHP on the hosting server. If necessary, details on how to do that can be found on our Upgrading to PHP 7 documentation.
- If you’re not currently on the most recent TestRail version you will need to upgrade prior to creating the data backup. You can also find documentation on upgrading Upgrading TestRail documentation.
- A MySQL database backup that is taken on the most recent version of TestRail Cloud. You can learn more about it on our Creating a TestRail backup documentation.
- A copy of your attachments & reports directories. You can find the directories in your settings under Administration > Site Settings under Attachment Directory and Report Directory.
With the above provided to us, we can begin your migration to TestRail Cloud.