Default release track date: February 2023
We’re pleased to announce the release of TestRail 7.8 to all Early Access and Default release track Cloud customers. This release will be rolled out over the course of a month and includes a new test data parameterization feature for Enterprise customers, Jira integration improvements, capabilities for the design and execution of BDD scenarios natively in TestRail, and a number of reporting and chart improvements. We’ve also radically improved the TestRail search functionality.
It’s now even easier to complete your work in less time with the introduction of test parameterization for TestRail Enterprise customers. Test parameterization gives you the ability to run the same test case with multiple inputs so that you can verify multiple scenarios without having to duplicate that test case. With test parameterization, you can achieve faster test case design, increased test coverage, and reduced test case maintenance. Learn more about test parameterization here.
Jira integration improvements
Users on all TestRail plans can now streamline workflows through an improved Jira integration that allows all customers to edit Jira issues directly from within TestRail, link test plans and milestones to Jira issues, and provide increased visibility into associated TestRail data from within Jira. You can learn more about the bidirectional integration here.
New BDD template
You can now design and execute BDD scenarios natively in TestRail. Import and export feature files and use Gherkin keywords to give structure to your BDD testing activities in TestRail. For more details, check out the full BDD documentation here.
Improved search for TestRail
We’re introducing big improvements to the search experience across TestRail Cloud instances:
- You can search all text fields across all of your projects in your TestRail instance from your Dashboard
- You can filter search results by category, date range, and more
- You can see a list of items you’ve recently viewed, like test cases and runs
You can learn about more time-saving search functionality by checking out the full search documentation here.
Customizable charts give you the power to get the information you need more quickly, directly from the Dashboard and Project Overview pages. View and explore data through cross-project reporting as well as the ability to filter and refine chart information. Learn how to customize and refine your charts here.
Ignore test results in reporting
Administrators can now configure an additional setting on your test statuses to exclude results from reporting. Using a custom status that is set to ignore test results helps ensure all information in your charts and reports is relevant to the current situation even if your scope of testing changes or cases are not yet ready for testing. Learn how to ignore test results in reporting here.
Property Distribution customizable stacking
You can now generate more detailed Property Distribution reports through the ability to customize your chart grouping. A second attribute can be selected so that you can stack test cases by a second attribute such as priority, automation type, created by, and more. Learn more about customizable stacking in the Property Distribution reports here.
Fixes in this release
TestRail 7.8.0 Default has been released to cloud customers in the Default track with the following fixes:
- TR-2734 - Filter options for media library not in view
- TR-2944 - In Bulk Edit mode when user edit any TextField value then checkbox for that TextField does not get autoselect
- TR-2983 - UI- Result Step fields are not shown in bold letters in classic and Modern theme mode
- TR-3054 - Up/Down arrows for imported shared test steps do not work properly
- TR-3274 - A user with no permanent delete permissions of cases and sections cannot move the test cases from one project to another
- TR-3488 - Imported Shared Steps shows as index instead of Text on CSV export
- TR-3730 - Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction (yourdelivery.testrail.net)
- TR-3748 - Exported CSV and Excel showing incorrect test case information for drop down fields
- TR-3766 - Not all users are showing up when trying to use the Assign To button to assign a Test to a User
- TR-3776 - Import from CSV - Steps(References) selected - Error "Undefined variable: project"
- TR-3788 - PHP memory Errors when exporting milestones
- TR-3805 - Exporting a TestRun with the "Excel drop-down Option" generates a CSV instead of an Excel file
- TR-3808 - Adding plain Text format in steps-separated field customization is displaying an error in case history page
- TR-3812 - Test runs exported to an Excel file with the option "Include separated steps on separate rows " checked don't have seperate rows for the steps.
- TR-3830 - Multiple errors when accessing test cases and/or when deleting an image in Test Steps or when replacing an image
- TR-3855 - Trying to get property 'filetype' of non-object while trying to click/delete attachments
- TR-3890 - Bulk editing users changes the SSO enabled value in the Database to Null on TestRail Server
- TR-3892 - API: get_attachments_for_run resolves in internal 500 error
- TR-3896 - Classic and dark theme shows compressed fields when adding a test case
- TR-3927 - Editing Test Results with images shows sourcecode on the Textarea.
- TR-3929 - Printout of Testcases - Table headers don't align with texts. Some Texts overlap. Some strange checkboxes
- TR-3965 - Print reports no longer display test cases for test runs inside a test plan (Outline)
- TR-3996 - Todo Graph displaying information for Users who do not have any Todo in graph
- TR-4006 - Error (Undefined propety: stdClass::$custom_XXX) Thrown when trying to compare Test Case versions
- TR-4023 - Audit logs shows non-relevant updates in test runs/plans
- TR-4049 - Print reports keeps loading for test runs (details option)
- TR-4059 - Users are able to login with local credentials when "Authentication Fallback" is disabled on SSO config
- TR-4060 - Cannot save/update while bulk editing users.
- TR-4086 - "Too few arguments to function User_model::insert_ex()..." error during LDAP/AD integration
- TR-4107 - Gets the error Undefined property: stdClass::$items when creating/Editing Test Cases
- TR-4125 - The 'Enter Key' isn't working in Firefox v100.0.2
- TR-4126 - Unable to push defect to Trello when custom field is configure (Trello does not work with custom field)
- TR-4132 - "Undefined property: stdClass::$customfield_" error when pushing a defect to Jira
- TR-4139 - Unexpected uploading error occurred when trying to replace an attachment
- TR-4142 - Simple Lists : Numbered - Markdown not keeping track of the numbers
- TR-4148 - Angle brackets ('<' '>'), ampersand (&) etc are converted to html encoding in test cases
- TR-4149 - Images are not saved to the corresponding steps when adding results
- TR-4154 - Favicon missing when loading TEST RUNS & RESULTS Tab
- TR-4157 - Vulnerability 8.1 - Cross Site Scripting (Stored)
- TR-4158 - Vulnerability 8.2 - Improper Session Management
- TR-4161 - CTRL+Z does not undo an action
- TR-4169 - Subsections are removed when sections without Test Cases are filtered
- TR-4228 - Text can’t be pasted on the Actual Result field
- TR-4229 - API error when calling get_plan and get_sections
- TR-4232 - "Field Test Case is a required field" error when adding a table to a test case steps field in a 3-panel mode
- TR-4245 - Vulnerability 8.5 - No Password Length Restriction
- TR-4246 - Vulnerability 8.6 - No Rate Limit on Reset Password Link Generation
- TR-4248 - User Enumeration
- TR-4263 - Wrong formatting on Precondition Text box
- TR-4269 - Image attachments not showing on Steps/Results
- TR-4282 - Drag and drop while copying a test case is broken.
- TR-4294 - Drag & drop (copy) of a Test Case will not show correctly unless the page is refreshed
- TR-4303 - Getting Undefined Offset: 1 error
- TR-4315 - Wrong format when initially displaying copied Test Cases
- TR-4322 - UI content not displaying completely when editing Test Plan
- TR-4323 - Test case status not Changing to Default status
- TR-4331 - Section description does not add a scroll bar when adding long data text
- TR-4341 - Test Case Add/Delete activities are appearing on Overview page
- TR-4362 - TR cloud/server 7.5.x: 'Add Multiple users' functionality breaks when Project Administration is enabled
- TR-4376 - The Previous History of fields of bulk edited Cases are not shown
- TR-4382 - Error while trying to restore the test case
- TR-4383 - Unable to navigate or enter text after pasting an image
- TR-4387 - Issue with Uploading attachment with drag-drop in Test Case template.
- TR-4404 - Issue when selecting the “Update existing test cases” option when doing an XML import from exported XML file from the same project
- TR-4413 - When the user deletes Shared Step - Attachments in the test case look broken
- TR-4414 - Creating a shared step from the test case steps - Edit the test case - Broken attachment in the Preconditions field
- TR-4416 - Field Suite is not a valid Test Suite
- TR-4439 - Can't delete test steps in bulk
- TR-4561 - Field Start date is not in a valid date format in dashboard
- TR-4633 - strpos() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given error when attempting to close Test Run
Updating to the new version
TestRail Cloud instances will be automatically updated to the latest version and this update will roll out over the next month. You can check your version via the TestRail Help > About TestRail menu item in your instance.
On-premise versions of TestRail will follow on a later date to be announced soon.
Enterprise makes it even easier to oversee multiple testing projects across multiple teams, all in one place. To try the Enterprise plan at no cost to you, please sign in and reach out to our Support Team, or if you are not signed in, click the Submit a request button on the top right of this page.